Did you recently acquire a new computer? If so, congratulations on your new tech addition! Have you meticulously considered all the essential factors when purchasing a laptop? Whether you’ve invested in a cutting-edge Hewlett Packard (HP), a sleek MAC, a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, a Windows 8 laptop, or a conventional desktop computer, the initial steps you take are crucial.
Here, we delve into the first four imperative actions you should undertake:
- Update Your Antivirus Program: Safeguarding your new computer from potential threats is paramount. While most computers come preloaded with antivirus software, such as Microsoft’s tool in Windows 8, it’s crucial to ensure it’s the latest version. After setup, navigate to the scanner’s settings and update the “definitions” to equip the program with the latest instructions for identifying and removing new viruses, Trojans, worms, etc. Consider exploring alternatives like Avira free antivirus for superior protection.
- Install Available Windows Updates: Despite the assumption that your new computer is fully up-to-date, it’s prudent to manually check and install Windows updates. Microsoft regularly releases security and non-security updates, especially for Windows 8. While automatic updates are default, adjusting the settings to “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” can be beneficial to manage data consumption during initial usage.
How to Change Your Windows Update Settings:
- Click on your Windows settings.
- Utilize the search box to find “turn automatic updates on or off.”
- Launch the program and opt for “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.”
- Install a File Recovery Program: Contrary to intuition, installing a file recovery program before utilizing your computer is a strategic move. File recovery programs often require pre-installation to avoid overwriting the area on the hard drive where deleted files might reside. This precautionary step minimizes the risk of permanently losing valuable data.
- Register for an Online Backup Service: Elevate your data protection by enlisting in an online backup service. These services amalgamate software tools and subscription services, automatically securing your files and data on remote servers. Opting for an online backup service is a cost-effective and reliable long-term solution for cloud data protection.
Considerations for Online Backup:
- Look for highly rated services that are budget-friendly.
- Choose services allowing unlimited backup.
- Prioritize ease of download and installation.
In conclusion, considering these four essential steps will fortify your new computer’s security, ensure it stays updated, and provide a safety net for potential data loss. Online backup services, such as Google Cloud Storage, can be instrumental in preserving your data in the cloud effectively.