- Host: Stormzy’s Merky Foundation | HSBC UK
- Study Abroad: Study in UK
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: £20,000
- Application Open: August 17, 2023
- Deadline: September 3, 2023
Empowering UK Black Students: The Impact of the Stormzy Scholarship
Introduction: Launched in 2018, the Stormzy Scholarship has emerged as a beacon of hope for aspiring UK Black students, ushering in transformative changes in their university experiences. The brainchild of the #Merky Foundation, founded by the renowned artist Stormzy, in collaboration with HSBC UK, this scholarship initiative has successfully extended financial support to 32 deserving students. Initially commencing with two recipients annually, its scope was magnified in 2021. The partnership between Stormzy’s foundation and HSBC UK is set to award scholarships to a minimum of 10 Black students embarking on their academic journey in the autumn of 2023.
Cultivating Diversity at Cambridge: Cambridge University, over the past three years, has welcomed more than 400 UK Black students to its hallowed halls. Despite these commendable strides towards diversity and inclusivity, a palpable need for continued efforts remains. The primary goal is not only to entice Black students to apply for enrollment but also to nurture an environment where they can feel a profound sense of belonging and fulfill their utmost potentials.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria: Prospective candidates aspiring to secure the Stormzy Scholarship should meet the following prerequisites:
- Ethnicity: The scholarship is open to individuals falling within the following categories:
- Black African
- Black Caribbean
- Black Other
- Mixed – White and Black Caribbean
- Mixed – White and Black African
- Other mixed backgrounds (encompassing Black African, Black Caribbean, or Black Other)
- Confirmed Admission: Eligible applicants must have obtained a confirmed acceptance for an undergraduate program at the University of Cambridge, with studies scheduled to commence in October 2023. The status of the admission offer can be verified through the UCAS Hub.
- UK Student Status: Candidates should hold UK student status and must have been officially designated as ‘home’ students in terms of fee assessment. Clarification regarding fee status can be sought from the respective Cambridge College that extended the offer.
- Financial Assessment: Applicants should have applied for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan through Student Finance, applicable to England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland. A confirmation of successful financial assessment and the ensuing provision of financial aid is required. Importantly, an income assessment should have been conducted, with consent granted for sharing this information with the University. It is noteworthy that recipients of the Stormzy Scholarship can potentially nullify the need for a loan by substituting it with the scholarship, although an income assessment from Student Finance is still necessary to avail the Cambridge Bursary.
Application Procedure: Intending candidates can apply for the Stormzy Scholarship by completing an online application by September 3, 2023 (11.59pm). The application form for the scholarship’s 2023 cycle will be accessible on the official application portal starting from August 17. For inquiries or clarifications related to the scholarship, prospective applicants are encouraged to direct their emails to [email protected].
Conclusion: The Stormzy Scholarship stands as a testament to the remarkable progress made in creating educational opportunities for UK Black students. Through its collaboration with HSBC UK, the #Merky Foundation is taking affirmative steps to foster an inclusive educational landscape, empowering deserving individuals to excel at the University of Cambridge. As this scholarship continues to evolve and uplift the aspirations of the marginalized, it underscores the importance of persistent efforts to build a more diverse and equitable academic environment.