TOPIC: FASTING AND PRAYER, A TOOL FOR MINISTERING TO THE LORD
Scripture: Acts 13: 2. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
Beloved, I welcome you to another Moment of Daily Encounter! Yesterday we consider fasting and prayer as a means for serving the Lord. Today, we shall be considering another relevance of fasting and prayer as a means of ministering to the Lord.
Although, many believers does not understand the concept of ministering to the Lord! Yet, Fasting and prayer is so beautiful as it provides an excellent opportunity for the believers to minister to the Lord.
What then is ministering to the Lord?
1. Ministering to the Lord is using your tongue to write your view, your reference, your testimony, your adorations of the Lord your God.
It means to give to the Lord the worship that is due to Him. This is where the believers express heart felt praises to God Almighty! This is where you could recite the poem you have constructed in your heart to eulogized your king, Lord and your God like the psalmist said:
Psalm 45: 1. My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
Beloved observed closely that your tongue is describe as the pen of ready writer! This implies that you can use your tongue to write anything concerning your Lord! It is writing of this sought with your mouth that is termed ministering to the Lord.
2. Ministering to the Lord is the believer’s priesthood ministry! It is rendering worship to the Lord(Eph.5:19)! While it appears as if you are speaking to yourself but your spirit man is giving worship to the Lord.
Ephesians 5: 19. Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
3. Ministering to the Lord is bringing joy and pleasure to the Lord as we offer sacrifices of praise and thanksgivings to the Lord. This is where you call the Lord by different kinds of names, El-lohim, Elyon, El-Shaddai etc.
The Bible said: (Heb.13:15).
Hebrews 13: 15. By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
We also minister to the Lord in tongues(1Cor.14:14-15)! And fasting period provides us excellent platform for us to minister to the Lord!
How is fasting and prayer a tool to ministering to the Lord?
It is because fasting and prayer provides an excellent environment to minister to the Lord. Ministering to the Lord is a spiritual exercise and when you fast your spirit comes alive and as such you are at sync or the the same frequency with the Holy Spirit.
Hence ministering to the Lord is effortless, no struggle as you connect with the Holy Spirit easily.
Our opening scripture reveals a group of believers that was ministering to the Lord.
Acts 13: 1. Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
As these prophet and teachers were fasting, they were also ministering to the Lord at the same time!
Acts 13: 2.
As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted,…
Dear saint of the Most High God, be excited to embark on a fast as it provides you an excellent opportunity to minister to the Lord!
What is the benefits of ministering to the Lord?
1. Directions for Life and Ministry: The Holy Ghost often speaks as in case of Barnabas and Saul :
Acts 13: 2. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. –
2. Access to the voice of God:
Psalm 29: 2. Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. 3. The voice of the LORD is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the LORD is upon many waters.
It is quite unfortunate that many a times we are pre-occupied with our burning desire and request that we forget to minister to Lord while fasting!
Next time you fast, spend time to minister to the Lord in songs, in worship and in tongues as this provides excellent medium of interaction with the Holy Spirit while connecting information from the Holy Spirit to man’s spirit.
Remember this : Heaven is real and hell is real. Don’t gamble with your eternal soul. Jesus loves you.
– Father thank you for your word to me today.
– Lord, teach me how to minister to you during fasting and prayer in the name of Jesus.
– I decree the light of God will shine upon you today in the name of Jesus.
– That direction you need to change level is coming your way now in Jesus name.
– You are blessed and lifted
Assignment: Spend some time today to minister to the Lord.
From your brother Alex.
God bless you.