– by Robert I. Sutton:
1. Identify idiots early. The sooner you can identify an idiot, the sooner you can start to protect yourself from them.
2. Don’t try to change idiots. Idiots are not going to change, so don’t waste your time and energy trying to do so.
3. Don’t take idiots personally. Idiots are not attacking you personally, they are just being idiots.
4. Set boundaries with idiots. Don’t let idiots into your life if you don’t have to.
5. Don’t argue with idiots. It’s a pointless exercise.
6. Don’t try to explain yourself to idiots. They won’t understand.
7. Don’t try to reason with idiots. They are not reasonable people.
8. Don’t try to please idiots. They are impossible to please.
9. Don’t expect idiots to appreciate you. They don’t have the capacity to do so.
10. Don’t let idiots ruin your day. They are not worth it.
11. Don’t become an idiot yourself. It’s easy to do, but it’s important to remember that there is no excuse for bad behavior.
12. Learn to laugh at idiots. It’s the best way to cope with them.
13. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Idiots will try to make you feel bad about yourself, but don’t let them.
14. Remember that you are not alone. Everyone has to deal with idiots at some point in their lives.
15. Be kind to yourself. Dealing with idiots can be stressful, so make sure to take care of yourself.
Sutton’s book is a humorous and insightful guide to dealing with idiots. It is a must-read for anyone who has ever had to deal with a difficult person.
I hope these lessons help you to deal with idiots effectively and to protect yourself from their negative influence.
..till next week, stay blessed.